Saturday, 26 March 2016

Boy's Toys

 This is a coloured pencil drawing about 15.5 x 11 inches on Bristol board. I can never resist a decent reference photo of a bulldog, but thought I'd add something extra in the form of a Danger Mouse toy (don't ask me why, it's probably the drugs)
 For the darkest blacks I've used a little Indian ink and then burnished over with a black pencil to get the intensity. As it comes together I'm thinking that this may be a good image for prints and tee shirts,
Danger Mouse is turning out a little scarier than imagined. I'm using silver and gold metallic colours for him. I'd forgotten just how difficult it can be to use coloured pencils on Bristol board, it's really hard work to get the depth of colour but the pay off is the amount of detail that can be achieved. I've brushed over with a little white spirit in places, in between layers so that the texture isn't so harsh and final blending has a greater effect.


Below is the completed drawing. I was going to have a Union Jack in the background but decided to keep it simple.


1 comment:

Sue Clinker said...

Wonderful! I've never used Bristol Board but you seem to get on well with it. Love the strong colour you've achieved.